Tuesday 26 January 2016

Introduction to my FMP


“We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.”(Grant Morrison, Comic Book Writer, Play Wright and Occultist, 2012)



Marvel & DC Comics collaboration of characters

To begin with I would like explain the basis of my idea. My two greatest passions are the world of film and fashion. Two industries I am very torn between when it comes to a future career. I want to be able to create a book with designs and looks that that combine both of these elements together, through make up, hair, special effects and fashion styling. This will give me the chance to experience and experiment with works from both industries and incorporate them to create something special.
As I am unsure of the industry path I wish to follow this project will show all my abilities and what I have learned through my university experience and be a portfolio of skills I have gained over the years. Including make up and hair design, photography, post production editing, special effects and fashion styling. 

With the film industry being a very influential element in todays society I began to research the most popular genres in film. After several hours researching the statistics of total grosses of this years movie franchises it became clear that the superhero style was one of the most growing trends, with the Marvels Avengers saga alone grossing $3,874,093,200 (Boxofficemojo, 2016). It is also becoming a very influential trend through many different mediums such as politics which can be seen with the original superheroes such as Wonder Women being created by psychologist, William Moulton Marston, during World War 2. Another is also the fashion industry, this can be seen in many catwalks such as Jeremy Scott A/W 2011 line designing super hero like costumes and making them couture, this is something that really interested me and inspired me as it is something different and exciting to fan bases of both film and fashion.


Valentino's new theme inspired by WonderWomen

As well as doing this project based on my passions I am also creating it with a personal element in mind. I want to create something that will give people a feeling of self belief and self confidence. As children we all dress up as our favourite superpowers or idols which gives us confident and imagination to be someone else for the day as we grow up this element seems to fade away and we begin to lose that side of ourselves. This is something I really struggled with at the very beginning of my university experience but I have grown to overcome this in time with small changes such as my clothes and make up and eventually my overall demeanour. I want this book to be able help others in a similar way to myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment