Friday 22 April 2016

Final Book Layout Design

After a lot of designing and researching others that have created make up style books or coffee table styles I have finally completed my layout. I have decided to create a hardback, large square formatted book of 30cm x 30cm, similar sizing to the book 'FASHION: The Ultimate Book of Costume and Style' as this gives me the chance to incorporate clear close up images as well as good sized portrait images together. This will give my viewer a chance to see a small variety of each concept in a different angle. I also am reassured by this idea after Sharon posted on the Facebook group the best and more interesting sizes for coffee style books which included a large square. 
I have also decided to spend a little more on very good, quality proline pearl photo paper. Not only is it very strong but the shine enhances the final images and is much better to print on for that final professional look. 
To write my introduction I took inspiration and guidelines from the skills we learnt in our professional context unit. When developing my trend package, at the start of third year, I found websites such as WGSN very useful to help to write an incising, interesting and informative bit of creative writing that I needed to introduce the start of my book. 






My inspiration, as well as coming from the Vogue exhibition I attended, came from books such as the competitor book I mention in my proposal 'Make Up is Art', 'Faceprint' by Liza Eldridge and 'Miles of MAC' which too combines beauty close up and mid length images thought out the book which makes the book far more enjoyable to view. 
As well as this the book, 'Tom Ford' by Tom Ford, laid images out with borders just to either side rather than all the way around which I think makes the image wider and clear to view rather than wasting space and shrinking the size of the image to have borders all the way around. Another book that does this is the book 'Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty', which I purchased at his exhibition a the V&A last year. The left and right sides of some of their images have slim white boarders but the image fills up the rest of the entire page. I have also chosen a font that encaptures the strong, stance of a super hero style comic but also have the fine lines and detailing that will still keep within the beauty theme.
I have now made all amendments, spell checks, edits and advice given to me by mentors and also other students as I wanted as many opinions as possible. I also got advised by a few student photographers to ask for PDF version of my book before purchasing as this gives an accurate look of the final book. I am very glad I did this as I had to amend a few little errors such as text going off the page. I now need to send off my book to be published to make sure I have lots of time to receive it before the hand in date. I have also shown those outside of the industry to get there opinion as they are my target market and a huge part of this project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment