Tuesday 12 April 2016

Test: Still Life Image Trials


After a sleepless night and a lot of stress over this new, additional concept of adding some still life beauty and make up images for the finalising touch but with a lot of ideas in my head I decided to get up early and spend the whole day and evening in the studio. I took a variety of products to test with as well as hiring a macro lens from the hatch in the basement of university. 
For the first time ever I went all by myself as normally I have a model or someone else to help me so this was quite a scary prospect for me. Luckily I had the studios on the fourth floor all to myself and gave myself the whole day so that I had no clock watching and stress which I actually really enjoyed. As well as this, Chris Overend was available now and again to help me out a little which was very reassuring.
Reflecting on this experience, I was pleasantly surprised and happy with the final outcome and really enjoying shooting myself with a macro lens on a camera. I was glad I bought quite a few different products in as this gave me a wider range of items and looks to test. I am really glad I did this and took Jane's advice as, although I was very apprehensive, this now shows another skill that I am capable of rather than just portraits or people. I also took Elizabeth's advice to shoot in studio rather that on location which I think was a great idea. Shooting in studio blends in with all my other images rather that creating shots on location that don't match my other images. I now feel like once these are edited I have achieved so much more that I thought I was capable and am now so excited and nervous so compose my book.

Bubbles with Food Coloured 




As you can see the bubbles above were not that successful at all. The camera would not focus on them in time as they blended too much into the background before they floated to the ground or popped. I tried this on black background too and the overcome with very similar. This was a shame as I had thought this would be the most simple look but it was much harder than expected. I am glad I tested this though as I now know that adding food colouring, in this case orange, didn't change the colour of the bubble at all which I thought it would.  

Inspiration for below images: 

Colour is an art. Tribute to Jackson Pollock. Made with LE VERNIS DE CHANEL.



Marbled Nail Vanish of Symbolic Colour Palette










This was one of my most successful tests and ones that after some editing in photoshop I am really considering using as a front cover or inside image. I chose colours that were all in my colour symbolic language to keep in theme. I spiralled all the different colours to create a paint palette art effect serval times between each shot depending which colour needed more or less, this made it quite a long process as well as getting the lighting to hit the golds and shine of the nail vanish in the right way. This was very successful and fun to experiment with and I think that all the colours are impacting making as well contrasting beautifully.

Added Glitter 






After I had completed all my nail vanish marbling images I wanted to experiment with some glitter or additional sparkle for that star like shine. For some images the light caught the multi coloured glitter nicely but for others they just looked like dark dots which wasn't the look I wanted. I also tested the dripping paint effect down a canvas with different types of lighting, this again quite artistically worked in some shots which I loved the look of as it really captured the make up and art beauty I was trying to catch but for others this just looked messy as the coloured blended together. 


Inspiration for images below: Powder Brush with powder product as well as front cover of 'The Make Up Book' by Joy Terri


Golden Pigment with Make Up Brush 








These images were another set that I really liked and very surprised with. As gold is a huge colour in my symbolic colour palette, it caught the make up, brush and glitter all very clearly and beautifully keeping in theme with my book. I think the macro lens was great for this as each hair a piece of glitter can be see as well as the tiny specs of gold pigment I covered the brush and paper in. I am considering editing these further in photoshop and placing these in the inside first page of my book to interest my viewer as well as give them a clue as to what its about. 

Powdered Bombs






The powdered bombs were really interesting to test with. They created a big planet like effect when zoomed in very closely the rough surface appeared very similar to images I have seen of the moon or in galaxy images which I loved the feel and vibe of as this fits the out of this world superpower theme my book also contains. I also shot the image so that the light shone from the front and so I took the image slightly from the back to just trial different lighting effects. Although these images need quite a lot of editing to be worth of adding to the book I would like to place them somewhere appropriate if possible. I do like the natural vibrance of the colours and how they contrast against each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment