Wednesday 17 February 2016

Research: Continuation of creating Symbolic Colour Language


Since my tutorial with Jane I have been researching different mediums further into making my symbolic colour language more elaborate to give me a wider colour palette to work with with still meaning and purposefulness to each super power concept. I also think that the use of more colours will portray each ability theme with more clarity as well as making the overall final more eye catching and interesting. 

I began with watching the recommended film by Jane that linked to the character concept 'Time Travel' I want to create. This film was very inspiring and the beauty of the cinematography really caught my eye. It also really enlightened me to what the abilities of that power is actually capable of which is something that I need to consider, especially when it come fashion styling. 



RED

This colour is known for many different emotions and meaning through out history. From passion, love and lust to anger, power and danger red can be been viewed in a variety of different ways. Red can be seen as far back as prehistoric cave art and to ancient rome where red symbolised blood and courage. 
Where it then moves to Chinese philosophy where red symbolised fire and luck. 


Giclee fine art print of Feng Shui Master Yang Wen Bo

Although when researching into red I felt this colour, from red ochre to vermillion, was too bold and intense and has the tendency to over power the other subtle colours already in my palette, although when beginning to look into reds pale colouring of pink its meaning of youth and natural beauty interested me. I wanted to include this colour subtly within my palette too. I think this colours symbolism and feeling can blend the bolder and more striking colours together beautifully as can be seen in the painting below. 

Roseus is the Latin word meaning 'rosy or 'pink'. The rose has a very symbolic meaning of beauty and nature and this is a concept that I would subtly like to develop in my project. This also makes me start to think about using objects as symbolic meaning as well as colour.


Greek Girls Picking Up Pebbles by the Sea, Lord Frederic Leighton, 1871

 This pale pastel pink and blue is also 2016 pantone trend prediction of the year which keeps my project still contemporary. Since the trend forecasting unit at the beginning of third year I have been trying to keep up to date with this industry as I find it very interesting and it really helps to know the latest and future trends. I think these colours are not only very symbolic but would work perfectly for the softer more gentle concepts such as psychic and healing. 



ORANGE

Around the world and cultures such as buddhism and hinduism believe that the colour orange is associated with the emotion of amusement, happiness and light. This is a very interesting fact to me as this is a feeling I want to put back into todays societies busy and stressful lives through the abilities concept and make up, hair and styling within my book. 
The aspect that really inspired in when researching orange was the symbolic use of this colour through Victorian art. 


Flaming June, Lord Frederic Leighton, 1896

The realism of the transparent material worn by the sleeping woman, the stunningly warm and rich oranges and the perfectly recreated surroundings are all intentional elements that are used for symbolic meaning. He wanted to portray the beauty and nature of the sunrise and sunset through the very specific colours. 
The image also symbolises the links between life and death, this can be seen through the beautiful bright women and the toxic oleander branch in the top corner.
 The dawn like colouring of the women's skins also blends beautifully with the tone of orange used, which is something that I need to think of when it comes to using colours that work well with my models skin tone so that every element blends perfectly. 

From this I am also very interesting in visiting the Leighton House Museum to see if there are any other of his other paintings  that have the same symbolic style that may inspire me further. 

The bridesmaid, John Everett Millais, 1851

This romanticism painting is another that that really inspires me. Her orange toned hair shines with bronze and gold elements to bring the still life image to life. I also find the natural beauty a real trend when it comes to this period art work, this is something that I need to remind myself frequently as I often go over the top with my editorial work and forget that more can be less. Her skin tone and gentle curl of the hair is one that I think would work perfectly for the invisibility concept, not only is it rose and gently but its blended beautiful into the rest of the image. 

Sunflower, Vincent Van Gogh, 1888

Vincent Van Gogh wanted this very famous painting of his to bring welcomeness and a homely feeling for his friend Paul Gauguin. The uses of oranges and yellows symbolism these emotions and atmosphere that he wanted to convey. Even if some of the colours do appear5 slightly dull and lifeless the overall feel can be clearly seen. This is very interesting and even the duller tones of orange and yellow still symbolise and convey the bright and warm feelings. This makes me wonder if the use of bold and bright colours are as necessary as I though and perhaps more neutral and calm tones will define my emotions and super abilities better. 

So far my symbolic colour palette contains, white, gold, blue, orange and pastel pink with hints of black to define certain aspects. This colour palette may grow as my project progresses but for now I will begin to adapt my initial face charts and really begin start test shoots to discover which of theses colours work well and not so well together. 


I have also purchased some books to light read to gain a little more perspective of colour symbolism and how it can link to the feeling and emotions I would my viewer to feel through each ability concept.  One book I already owned due to the Chinese colour symbolic project we had to do summer 2014 which was very insightful and gave me a little knowledge before this project.  






No comments:

Post a Comment