Monday 1 February 2016

Research: Inspirational Make Up & Hair Moodboards





During my time at university I have gained valuable skills in researching and techniques in which do to so in units such as the contemporary elizabethan in first year all the way through up until now. I have now begun to gather some inspirational superhero style make up images from a variety of different mediums such as magazines like Vogue and InStyle, websites, Books like Make Up is Art, social media concepts like Instagram and Pinterest, other make up artist amateur and professional such as Alex Box and Pat McGarth and photography and make them into mood boards. I wanted to use current, contemporary images that were trending today. 
From creating these mood boards I really got an insight into what is trend forecasting today which was very interesting to learn and something I will continue to do through the project to keep up to date with current trends. This is due the visit to London at the beginning of third year and trend package we created for the professional context unit. 
From previous units that I have taken I learnt that mood boards are a great visual help for me as it organises and makes my idea far clearer. 
I have also learnt from other units that I have sometimes been been given feedback and comments that my research and inspiration stages of a project hasn't shown how I got to my final images and results. In this project I really intend to do a lot of different styles of research to show my journey and how my ideas all began. I felt as though these mood board were a good starting point for me to begin this process. 

While collecting these images I started to wonder what made this images have a superhero, powerful feel to me. With some analysing and discussion with other peers it became clear that the make up was very flawless, slightly editorial and a beautiful style designs. Meaning blended lines, perfect complexion and in some examples use of new materials and colours but only focusing on one part of the face such as lips or eyes. When looking further I evaluated that not only is the make up was an important element but the poses and facial expressions are extremely crucial to. This is what powers a lot of the emotion and atmosphere through to the viewer. Reflecting back to my proposal the 'superhero' stance is one that is simple but strong and this is something I need to consider for my final images. 

From this, and from evaluating my survey results, I have now begun to create a solid idea from my final major project. 
Instead of the simple and not very thought out idea I had originally decided to do of a super hero character based designs I have now come up with the conclusion to create my own characters but using super powers as an underlining theme. I have decided to do this as the answers I received on my survey showed me that my target market seemed more interested in the powers over heroes questions. They chose more defensive style powers when answering 'What super power would you want?' and 'Why?'. Many reasons were very moving and involved changing the world and making themselves feel stronger. This links very well to my personal reason to create this book of creating self belief and confidence in others. I am now far more excited by this idea compared to the start of this project and I will now begin to develop this idea further through different methods.         
  

No comments:

Post a Comment