Tuesday 2 February 2016

Tutorial with Jane & Research into Ancient History Superpowers


During the seminar today we finally got the chance to discuss our ideas with our chosen mentors in full. I felt quite prepared and as though I had a lot of work to talk about to make my idea clear and understood, by both mentor and group. 
I always found talking in front of large groups or presenting unbelievably challenging. My voice becomes very shaky and I can find it a little hard to breath. This really frustrates me as I can forget important information I want to put across and this can appear as though I do not know what I am talking about. 
As much as university experience and units that include presentations has improved this problem dramatically I still feel as though I rushed my discussion. From now on I do look forward to having one to one sessions with my mentor as I am far more calm and want to portray my idea more thoroughly. 

Despite this problem, I did have a very interesting discussion with Jane, my mentor. She really took on my concept and wanted to push the idea further. She gave me the advice to look at the route of where my chosen super powers came from. She suggested researching the greek gods and mythology, religions such as Hindu, and into asian films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of the Flying Daggers. She also suggested looking at the healing techniques used in martial arts disciplinary. At first I was extremely overwhelmed by all this work and new idea she has proposed as, initially, it felt that this was a little off topic. Once I had got into researching all theses subjects, I did begin to realise the links and connections between the ancient history and my own contemporary project. I also knew that reading up on this information would very helpful in the future to have as general knowledge as these themes are very popular when it comes to fashion styling and designing. This can be seen in works such as Dimaneu Womens 2015-2016 A/W RTW Catwalk and 

Dolce & Gabanna Menswear S/S 2014 Catwalk.




ASIA

Knowing some basic Asian traditions when it come to makeup and hair in the asian culture, due to the summer project we received in second year, I knew that this would be very useful and in enlighting to me. Although I had no ideas on how martial arts and my chosen super powers were connected. 
As suggested, I watched fight scenes in a variety of Asian movie productions. I found this quite inspiring as I had never realised the beauty and dance like moves that these scenes create. This is something I need to consider when designing my face charts and poses I want my models to convey. 
I also researched the martial art healing technique, Kuk Sool Won, where the student must 'know to heal as well as hurt your opponent'. 
   This is very interesting to know and something that I will want to look into more when it comes to designing my 'Healing' chapter of the book. 

GREEK MYTHOLOGY



(The Triumph of Civilization, 1793. Painting by Jacques Réattu 1760-1833. Hamburger Kunsthalle)

The god and goddesses of Greek Mythology is something that has always been very interesting to me and I was really excited to research more into it when Jane suggested it and I could instantly see the links between my super power heroes. For example the powers they possess and the attitudes of confident and self belief they convey. It also gives me the chance to explore into historical art as another form of inspiration. The powerful and strong but simple stances take these gods have are also something that I want my pictures to also capture. 
The most influential piece of research I conducted was to discover the gods and goddesses that have the same abilities that I want to convey. 
After so many units involving practicing and using the library and borrowing books it has now come accustom to me which, in times like this, I am very thankful for as it is quite easy for me to find exactly what I am looking for.  

  • Healing - Apollo, Artemis, Asclepius
  • Psychic - All Gods 
  • Immortality - Glacus, All Gods 
  • Teleporting - Anemoi, All Gods 
  • Invisibility - All Gods 
  • Time Control - Cronos, Crios  
  • Flight - Hermes, Aeolus   


I will now continue to develop this concept and see if it can be subtly portrayed through the make up, hair or fashion I will use for my final designs.
 This session has taught be to be more open to new ideas, rather than panicking and taking constructive criticism too personally. I've learnt that other peoples ideas actually help to push my work further and get it too a high standard. 



No comments:

Post a Comment