Monday 22 February 2016

Fashion Styling Inspiration and Designs


For styling I would like to use clothes that are not very high end and intimidating to the everyday viewer but something that is beautiful and accessible to them but that also blends with the concept I'm designing. 
Since I attended the Alexander McQueen Exhibition, Savage Beauty at the V&A summer 2015 I have been obsessed with his work and designs he has produced. The use of defined cuts and statement like pieces are things that I would like to include in my work, although I want my clothes to appear far less intimidating and more wearable in public unlike his eye catching catwalk looks. I particularly like the spring/summer 2012 line as the colour palette resembles a very close connection to the symbolic colour language I have created. I also feel as though this line has a wide variety of materials and fabrics from lace to leather which I find brings diversity and makes the overall collection more interesting. 

Alexander McQueen Spring/Summer 2015

Alexander McQueen Spring/Summer 2015

Alexander McQueen Spring/Summer 2010

Another huge inspiration of mine is the work of Roberto Cavalli. His use and clashing of bold patterns such as animal prints and block colours is something that really interests me as its something like that I like to achieve in my clothing. The block colour specifically is one that I think would fit with my symbolic colour palette research. 
I also love the wide range that his catwalk looks present from smart shirts to extreme dresses. His maxi dresses remind me of a superhero cape flowing in the wind which clearly makes a link to my superpower project. I plan on using a fan or hairdryer to achieve the same flowing material look that Roberto Cavalli uses on his gowns. 

Roberto Cavalli, Spring/Summer 2015

Roberto Cavalli, Autumn/Winter 2015 

Roberto Cavalli, Spring/Summer 2015

As past experiences have taught me, this unit I have planned and been prepared in advance as I can and I ordered a few items of clothing online and embellishments I would be attaching and planned on beginning to style my outfits.


Although the embellishments were perfect and exactly what I wanted the clothes looked nothing like the image portrayed on screen. I felt really panicked and stressed as I had spent a lot of money and wasn't able to return them to get my money back. I then decided there was no point worrying about it and to attempt to work with what I had purchased.

 One of the items I wanted was a sequin, metallic silver and blue turtle neck top but I received it in gold and black and in the form of a crop top. Although the cut was actually really nice the colour was completely wrong so I decided to buy some blue glitter spray and cover the top and test this to see what happened. To my surprise this worked perfectly and made me feel very relieved and thankful that I have just calmed down and thought of a solution to my problem.


I also ordered a beautiful, summer, pure white lace mini dress that I received in dark tan which was very frustrating. I then thought that there may be a way to dye the dress to make it the colour I want and am in the process of trying to achieve this now. I did try spraying it white but it just came out clear and made the dress look sticky and shiny. 

A trait about myself that I have also worried about it my tendency to panic so much that I have a complete meltdown as I feel as though I have failed. I get myself in such a state and feel lie giving up. This did occur at this moment but it is something that I am really trying to face and work on alone rather than calling others to help me fix a mistake I made.  
I really learnt that there is a solution to every problem but I just have to stop over thinking and panicking so much before hand. I feel as though my panicking can make me over react as I nearly threw the top away, but as I didn't I now have another item to work with. I also learnt that ordering online products is such a gamble and from now on I intend to go out in person to view possible outfits as this way I know exactly what I am getting.  







No comments:

Post a Comment