Tuesday 8 March 2016

Test: Reflecting on 'HEALING' Concept Trial



The whole idea behind the 'Healing' concept was that of healing the hurt and worries of the struggles with face in todays society. I wanted this make up design to bring light and a new beginning to the viewer through nature, sparkle, shine and bright colours. 
For this look I was inspired but many different mediums such as Dior's Haute collection 2012 and Chanel A/W 2013. I feel the shine of different lights hitting the use of materials can create such an eye catching and stunning, multi coloured appearance that I feel worked perfectly for this concept. Another huge inspiration was the work by Alex Box with MAC for new york fashion week. On the MAC snap chat account it showed her discussing and using a lightweight material to create a prism light effect around the eye that was so simple and beautiful, this was something I really wanted to replicate in my own way to link the prism crystal with the healing crystals. Healing crystals are something that I have really researched into for this concept as I feel that this needs to be included and put across through either the make up or styling to really convey the super ability for this look.  As my original idea for this look was too white and a little bland I knew I really needed to update it and bring it to life. This is why I chose the pastel pinks from my symbolic colour palette and the pink researched in a previous post meaning new life to represent. Below are the face charts and make up test images for this concept.













For this, as it was a test shoot, I decided to avoid the worry and panic I had last week with my photographer who ended up cancelling last minute I decide to take the images myself again for more practice on my own photography skills as this whole project I want to develop as many skills as I can. Not only does this improve my own photography skills but I didn't have to worry about clock watching and having any stress and as a result I feel that the make up on this turned out much better than expected as I was far more calm and relaxed than on my last test shoot in the studio.

My main test for this was to see if the light caught this material nicely and if the colours changed when the model moved. I feel as though this test was a great success as the material I used really did catch the light and create the prism crystal element I was trying to achieve. In hindsight I would have liked to add more around the eye and perhaps a little underneath as well to create more of an impact making, shiny appearance but I don't want to over do this and make it messy as I have done in the past when i've tried to make my designs too elaborate. I also think the subtle metallic, pink, very glossy lip matched the eye make up very well and this too caught the light for extra shine. 

Reflecting back, next time I would like to define the cheeks a little more with pink blush, such as the one in the painting of the women by the sea, to really blend this look together and instead of using duo glue use spirit gum to attach the sequins as the duo makes a white mark underneath. I also would like to create a pink glitter design around the neck or a smoother finish for a more beauty feel.

 This is because my original plan was to use the special effect technique of tuplaste to create a scarring effect turned out quite messy and ruined the look as you can see below, which was very disappointing. I will continue to practice this method but unless I think its perfect and professional enough I will have to unfortunately get rid of this idea. I think looking back on when I wrote my proposal I underestimated how much time I had. I really hoped that my special effects, after passing the unit in second year, I would be very well established at this. I do need to remind myself that at times I am still learning and at the start of my journey of this and it takes many years to be a skilled special effects artist. After university I plan to to back to Lifecast ltd, the special effect units at Elstree studios where I completely my work based learning hours to continue my learning of this industry as it is one I am very passionate about. 



I have also begun to design and customise a headband for this look that matches the eye make up so that the prism effect light will also  catch the headband and lighten the hair just as it will for the make up effect. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment