Saturday 5 March 2016

Test: Reflecting on 'FLIGHT' Concept Trial


As I have now created a solid symbolic colour language to work with that represents different feelings and emotions I hope to portray I now am able to begin to test designs a little more confidently. My inspiration for the 'Flight' concept was that of fierce, powerful, strong runaway looks that I have seen over the last couple of years as the mood board above shows. Looks such as Marc Jacobs A/W 2016, Hannah Marshall A/W 2010, Lanvin A/W 2012, Anna Sui A/W 2013 and iconic trend setters such as Rihanna and Kendall Jenner for Dior A/W 2016. As well as this animals such as the crow and raven have been a big inspiration for this look.

I wanted one of my looks to show the power and strength that we all have within in us in todays society, I think that 'flight' is the best concept to capture this emotion because before we can fly we have to learn to walk meaning we all go through tough times before the good. 'Flight' will capture the dark times we all face but through strength and determination we can all succeed and face our problems such as we do when we are children in our superhero costumes. I want to include the feather of a black crow in my design or through something such as a feathered eyebrow or long, flowing lashes that I found quite inspiring as it clearly shows the 'flight' concept with more clarity.
Below are the face charts and a few test images from this shoot. 












This shoot turned out a little more stressful that planned. I felt very prepared and ready for the day as I had a model and photographer confirmed. I really wanted to collaborate with another photographer other than the one I have planned to create my final images with as I feel this would give me a little more option and another opinion into how I can create my images. Unfortunately, my photographer cancelled due to other arrangements leaving me to take the images myself. I felt quite disappointed as I really wanted to test with colour gels again. As I only know basis photography skills my images did not appear as well as I had hoped. Never the less I was still determined to get a good result and test the make up and hair as well as using the 'hairdryer' technique instead of a fan. As well as gaining more skills in my post production editing. 

Even though the day didn't start as planned I was very pleased with how the make up and images turned out. I felt the hairdryer technique worked much better than a fan as the air can be directed with far more easy in specific areas to lift the hair more. I also liked the combination of the extreme blue, which again is part of my colour symbolic language, linking to the klein blue developed in paint, of getting through the bad into the good, with the bold, black eyeliner. I have been practicing my eyeliner skills on different shaped eyes a lot lately to be able to gain the precision and graphic look I want to achieve in all my design, which I feel shows in these images. 

Reflecting on the day, although I was very happy with the final outcome and the way the make up and colours blended together including the subtle golden, orange on the eyelid, representing happiness and light in my language, I think that perhaps the eyeliner and the eyebrows could be a little bolder, more feathered and more extreme to really make this look pop and represent the feel of strength.   

No comments:

Post a Comment