Thursday 17 March 2016

Test: Reflecting on 'TELEPORTING' Concept Trial



The teleporting concept is all about escapism. The definition of escapism is 'the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy' this is something that, in todays society, is a very common solution to every day problems that we all face. This concept is about creating that mysterious, magical character we all envisage to take us away to a place in the world of peace and tranquility or whatever he or she desires. I wanted to convey that sense of danger and mystery to convey the unknown, different  destinations we all imagine in our dreams and wish to escape to. 
This image will be the one that I will incorporate techniques in post production such as fading and movement to really enforce this power. 

The styling for this I wanted to be contemporary but have something that conveyed mystery I think that a black turtle neck would be perfect as this brings all the attention to the face and hair as well as being able to create some covering poses that are unusual and fit this theme, this can be see in the Mr Gentlemen AW/2014 catwalk. 
The make up will be all about creating a disguising, superhero mask across the face so that identity is hidden, most of my inspiration for is are editorial model images from the platform Pinterest which I have found very useful during my time at university for ideas. Celebrities such as Adam Lambert who use the dark liner and smokey eye to intensify their appearance also were a great inspiration although I wanted this look to be a little more editorial than beauty. Black works very well as the eyes will appear bright and intense and also blend in with clothing and photography. Although to make this image keep in theme with my colour symbolic palette the hands will have a painted art pattern included every colour in the palette to convey every single positive emotion I have symbolised to each colour, this will lighten the overall concept as well as linking to the emotions created in escapism.  

Smokey Eye Test  




Originally, to convey the sense of mystery and intensity, I wanted to create a subtle smokey eye on my male model inspired by many male catwalk looks. After experimenting this design it turned out nothing like I had planned, it wasn't masculine at all and more on the side of drag and wasn't as dark and mystical as I wanted this to appear. Although it gave me a good chance to practice my cut creases eyeshadow work this will not be the design I pursue in my final concept of the teleporting ability as its not as editorial or exciting as I want this concept to be.

Black Aqua Colour Band 





My next trial was to create a neat, graphic solid black mask across the eyes very similar to the images in my mood board. I used soft tape, eyeliner and black aqua colours but when removing the tape, as you can see from the images above, the mask effect was no where near as straight and precise as I had envisaged which was very disappointing. I then attempted to edit and adapt this free hand but this just made the matter worse and the mask ended up becoming too big and wide. Although the product of the aqua colour gave the solid black I was after I knew I really need to rethink this idea as it was far from ready for final image. I really was upset that this had failed but decided to not let it get me down and think of a new plan. 

Blended Black Band 




From my previous trial I decided to take off some of my models make up by blending it out. To my surprise this was creating a really statement making, tribal jungle, look that actually fit much better than I could have imagined. The brush strokes outward created a smokey and faded mask effect which I really like the look of due to the editorial feel as well as creating the intense, mysterious look I originally wanted. I was so pleased and relieved and found this was a great success that I wanted to test further as this was just by chance that this design was created.  

Blended Black Band with MAC Melon & Old Gold Pigments 




To adapt this experiment even further I decide to add some colours from my symbolic colour palette to the mask so the black was a little more interesting and eye catching. I was so pleased with the outcome of this test as the pigments blended very well with the aqua colour and, when in the light, created a great mysterious super hero mask. Although I think I may have used a little too much pigment in my test as they started to turn green, which is the chakra colour from teleportation. This whole procedure was very enlightening to me as I learnt to just keep trying even when my original idea was a fail as I do that the tendency to give up when I do not succeed first time around. I now very happy with this design for this concept and now plan to adapt this further so that the band is a little less wide and spread across the face to create that editorial, fantasy teleporting character. 

Hand Art



I felt that this concept was missing the symbolic colour palette element I was achieving to include in all my other concepts clearly. I thought a way of showing some new skill would be to experiment with creating some hand art using paint strokes to represent the pieces of art I have researched that helped me to develop my symbolic colour palette for this project. I initial used a thin brush and swiped a variety of shades and colours along the whole hand. The appear very bright and eye catching which I liked the effect of as this will look interesting when posed in the right way along with all the black elements. I think if I were to recreate this I would make it much neater with more colours to really show the emotions of each colour I have been using. 
I then tested this look when blending it all together, although this was not very successful and the colours lost all meaning and became a greeny brown distorted colour that just looked dirty and unfinished which wasn't my aim. 
This was fun to test and I will now research into other hand art created by others to see if I can gain some tips or ideas that will push this idea further on. I am just a little worried that my skills  for this style are not of the standard to be in my final book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment