Wednesday 16 March 2016

Test: Reflecting on 'IMMORTALITY' Concept Trial



Similar to the psychic concept I wanted to create this design with a more editorial outlook in mind. The meaning behind this theme was to enjoy every day and moment in our lives as life can be so short and sweet, we have life in this world so we must live it to our fullest. 
I felt as though, once research the wealth and history of the colour gold, it does represent this idea perfectly as its so rich and vibrate and full of symbolic meaning.
A lot of my inspiration for this came from the use of the new limited edition cosmetic product created by Pat McGrath, Gold 001 pigment. The look and texture this product creates was something I really wanted to recreate as it blends beautifully and gives a smooth, luxurious look, unfortunately this product sold out in minutes and was far too expensive for me to purchase so I knew I needed to test other products to get the same vibe.
As well as this catwalk shows such as Fendi SS/12 and Illamasqua SS/11 were very influential as there use of gold enhances the models features as well as looking glamorous and very high end fashion. I also decided to take the golden brow design, inspired by the Dior SS/14 catwalk, from my invisibility concept as this look was more about clean, perfect blended skin and use it in this design as it fits much better and makes the brows more defined and interesting.  




I had a problem as I was unsure which product to use of this concept I bought quite a few magazine and blog recommended golden shade products both from high end companies to high street to experiment with the texture, colouring and blending capacities that they all possess

MAC Old Gold Pigment 




This colour was so vibrate and instantly stood out from the skin which was something I really liked about this product. It was extremely pigmented which, again, was great to work with as blending out was simple and easy to do. Although when attempting to create a pattern on top with the £££ gold MAC liner it did not allow the product to stick and was a little too over powering in colour. It was great to block out my eyebrows though as my eyebrows are very dark and hard to cover. This was encouraging as my model for this concept has fair brows. If I were to use this product I would use it far more sparingly so it was more subtle around the eye as well as being able to create a pattern over the top of it. 

MAC Old Gold Pigment mixed with MAC Mixing Medium 



I was very interested to see the difference when adding a mixing medium to this product to see what effect it would create. However, I found that, although the colour again was great, it didn't blend as well as just the powder on its own and it kept smudging in the crease of my eye which was not very attractive. This technique, on the other hand, when added to the lips was more liquid like and easier to apply with gently strokes but on the eyes I do not think this use of product is right for this concept as its a little too heavy and blocked shaping wise. 

Barry M Eyeshadow Pencil in Gold




This product surprised me and I was very glad that I tested it prior to shoot as it created a little, subtle golden shine which I really liked the appearance of. Although the product was a little thick it covered my eyebrows very well and I felt as though it was a cleaner, lighter gold than the Old Gold pigment I previously tested. This product is one I will probably using on my models eyebrows in the final shoot as its long wearing and, although doesn't blend that well, covers brows completely. 

Urban Decay - Bitter Sweet & Half Baked and Illamasqua - Electrum





This test was my most successful of them all as, not only did the two colours create the colouring and shading I was after but also they allowed me work them together and on top of one another to create a criss cross cage effect. I would like to have the chance to make the lines of this pattern even neater and tidier though to really give the striking, editorial graphic eye look but overall I was very pleased with this experiment. 

MAC Old Gold Pigment


Barry M Eyeshadow Pencil in Gold 


Illamasqua in Electrum 


The lips were another element that I had to test to see which product created the clean, shiny, professional outcome I desired for this concept. I found that these three were the best as they all had that metallic shine and luxurious colouring I needed to convey in this super power ability. Although some had issues such as going a hard and creating bits this can not be worked on and developed as I progress further into this project. 
All this testing was massively helpful and reassuring as now I am aware of what works the best and how to use these products on the skin. I feel as though this whole project is making me gain a lot of product knowledge that will be very useful in the future. 


I have also started to customise some accessories for this concept to create a more high fashion style and show some of my skills in fashion styling. The golden chain represents the the hard times of when we are tied down and having a hard time in our lives, each link represents another struggle. This idea came from the Charles Dickens book - Christmas Carol. The ghost of Jacob Marley is cover in chains with each link representing the pain he has coursed others. 



No comments:

Post a Comment