Tuesday 15 March 2016

Test: Reflecting on 'PSYCHIC' Concept Trial



The purpose for choosing the 'Psychic' ability was because, not only was it a very popular choice in my primary research survey, but because the ability to read minds is one that many wish to possess to be able to understand others better. Something that in todays society is sometimes needed to create a more peaceful and harmonious environment. This design was one that I wanted to be a little more editorial than the others to convey they all seeing eye and show other skills that I have. For that all seeing eye feel I plan on editing the eyes by altering the saturation and hue for capture a mysterious blue.
I took a lot of inspiration from many different mediums for this concept. My original point of reference for this idea was Alex Box's psychic white and black image in the top right corner of my mood board but as time went on I found that catwalk looks such as the Prabal Gurung FW/12 and John Galliano with extreme use of a variety of blues was very eye-catching. Blue is my main colour in this concept as its very symbolic in my colour palette language for rising out of the darkness and bad times to then very uplifting and positive times and I can use a wide range of shades through out such as Picasso's blue period. 
The MAC cosmetics instagram account is another than I find very helpful when it comes to research for inspiration and ideas. There recent posts on using lip mix as eyeshadow and glitter blue under brows was something I really wanted to test to see if I could create something similar. 




This product, Reflective Moon - eyeshadow by MAC, is one that I will definitely be using in this concept as it is so pigmented and, when built up, blends and creates the most beautiful shade of blue/grey which I discussed in a previous post on symbolic colouring. Its very subtle yet eye-catching at the same time and has been said to have been used in many fashion catwalk looks and wore by celebrities. 

Glitter Blue Eye Test 



This look took a while to create but I was very surprised with the outcome. I purchased the Ben Nye glitter as this blue is so vibrate and statement making I feel as though it really matches this emotions of this concept and it will work very well with lighting in photography. At first I found that the blue glitter rubbed off every time applying more and soon realised I have to give it a minute or two or dry to then apply another layer to create the thicker, block shaping around the eye. I was very pleased with how this turned out but I think if this were to use this product for my final image of this concept I wouldn't use as much and perhaps just apply it under the brow line or something a little simpler to keep the beauty of it. It also created a lot of mess taking it off but it is definitely worth it for the finished style. 

Lipmix Paint Style Eye Test 



This was inspired by the MAC instagram account image, I really wanted to experiment with using lip mix other than just on the lips as the colours are so solid and fun to work with. Although I like the looks of the different shades of paint strokes and textured appearance I found it really hard to blend out and make look attractive and professional hence why the shape is of a solid dimension. I think that, if I were to use this product in my final concept, I would start off with a lighter base, blend that out and build on it until I was perfectly happy with it. Overall I am very glad I tested this prior to shoot as its very good to know now was works for me and how I can improve it in the future. 

Without Glitter or Gloss 


With Glitter and Gloss 


Although I am pretty sure I want to create white or nude lips to contrast against of the strong shades of blue that will be apart of this design I wanted to check that I wasn't making a mistake in this decision so I experimented with blue and the textures I can create. 
Although I do like them both for different reasons, being the matte effect and the shine of the glitter, I do still think I will stick to my original plan and use subtle, pure and spiritual meaning white or nude lips to finish this look off and too much blue may spoil the look in my opinion.


I have also begun to customise a headband to test in shoot that will blend into the overall look as well as highlight the psychic theme through out. Although this is becoming very messy, taking a very long time to dry and quite big and I am little concerned this will take all focus away from the intricate hair styles I want for this look, this will need to be tested. 






No comments:

Post a Comment