Wednesday 2 March 2016

Test: Reflecting on Initial Female Hairstyles


After researching and creating the contemporary trend hair mood boards that related to each ability concept it was time to begin testing and trailing to find the errors and issues before the final shoots. My practice for each element was very enlightening and gave me a better understanding of the hairstyles and how I can move forward. The video I created below shows each trial. 


The 'FLIGHT' Concept Hairstyle

My main priority with the flight design hair style was that it had to capture movement from a fan or hair dryer well and with precision but still with high fashion quality. Initially, I thought that straight hair would be perfect for this. Once testing, along with a hairdryer to see how it moved, I thought it captured the style very well. Although I do find it may be a little boring and too simple if I were to keep it as shown in the video. I plan on keeping the basis of this style straight as it captures movement and wind perfectly but I want to adapt it slightly to make it bolder and more eye-catching. I think that adding colours from my symbolic colour palette would tie the whole look together nicely or even added extensions and backcombing for more volume and a more intense and powerful overall look.

The 'IMMORATLITY' Concept Hairstyle

Gold represents a lot of emotions that I hope to convey to my viewers through my book. One main emotion of gold is life which is perfectly symbolic of immortality. As this look is all gold I wanted the hair to be included too. I also wanted to try something more editorial and work with gold leaf, which I have never done before. 
I was surprised at how fiddly, light and sticky the product was and found that I did make quite a mess along with the amount of mousse I used. As this was a first go I was unaware of how quickly I got through all the gold leaf I purchased but I also, after many goes and a little more patience, began to get the hang of it. This was a great learning experience and I have now purchased more to practice with and instead just covering patches of the head I hope to cover the whole front area of the hair for my final look. I also have learnt that an assistant would be needed at a moment such as this.  



The 'PSYCHIC' Concept Hairstyle 

With the focus on this going back to the original psychics in history I wanted to really capture the spiritual world through all elements such as hair but with a contemporary twist. I chose to create two tight french plaits as this gets all hair out of the hair and also creates a neat and interesting look in areas that are not covered but the bandana. I also have learnt to create french plaits throughout my time at university and now feel very confident in executing them professionally. 
Although I was pleased with how this idea looked I do think the bandana itself could be a little more exciting and bright as maybe the colouring and patterning is too simple and dull. This is something I now know and will focus to fix. I am little considered about this on reflection as it may appear too bold but this will be tested. 



The 'HEALING' Concept Hairstyle 

My healing concept links very closely to the life and death within nature and the environment. I wanted to create the hippie style with, again, a twist of contemporary high fashion beauty. Although the look was quite aesthetically pleasing I feel it is still to clean and well polished for the messy, really natural look I want to achieve. I think that maybe curling with straighteners was not the best idea as it creates a tidy finish and as my chosen model have very curly natural hair its unnecessary to work on it with the use of heated products. I do, however, like the puffed up effect the hair band it plan on working on creates as well as the glitzy hair band itself.



The 'INVISIBILITY' Concept Hairstyle

For this I really wanted to create a natural looking but beautiful, clean ponytail. Invisibility is all about hiding and not standing out from the crowd which is something I needed to consider when designing this look. When testing this look, as I had just curled the hair, the ponytail went into one giant, princess like curl which I really like the look of even if it was but pure accident. I also liked the little natural baby curls at the side of the head because it blended the style together nicely and made the ponytail less harsh looking on the face. This is something I will re create when it comes to creating the final shoot. I was very glad I tested this as I would have never have known how much this big curl ponytail fit my criteria perfectly. I may test again with some glitter or shine spray to make a little more interesting in the final image.



As for the male hairstyling, as I have only had practiced on male hair in the Claudia & Quinten and Cabaret units I plan on getting some more experience with my chosen male models prior to the shoot to get to grips with their hair and what sort of look will fit the concepts best. 









No comments:

Post a Comment